Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Happy Accident

I like to cook. Sometimes it's rough being a person who likes to cook, because I also like to experiment. Most of the time my experimenting happens purposely. Last night, this was not the case.

I was scheduled to meet someone at 5 o'clock for a meeting and I was running a little behind. I had this great idea to make Mini Lasagna Cups (you know, wonton wrappers, muffin tin, yada yada). I had all the stuff and was about to embark on my quest when I realized that instead of purchasing wonton wrappers at the store that day, I had in fact bought egg roll wrappers.

What to do? What. To. Do?

Well, I'm pretty quick on my feet, and I really needed to get this done so my kids would have some food to eat. So, I decided to make what I now affectionately call: Egg Roll Lasagna!  Which may sound scary, but actually turned out really awesome!

Okay, so here's what I did:

I was going to make the aforementioned mini lasagna cups. But, like I said, only had egg roll wrappers. When I looked at the muffin tin, and the size of the  wrappers, I knew it wasn't going to work. So, I decided to use my filling (ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, some spices, ground beef) and do it up egg roll style.

I laid out an egg roll wrapper. Put about two table spoons of filling in, put a couple of table spoons of marinara sauce in there as well, and then put some Parmesan on there for good measure. Then I rolled them up. I greased an 8x8 pan with Pam, and placed the rolls in. I believe I fit about 9 in the pan.

Here is a link to the recipe for the ingredients ONLY portion of this happy accident.

http://apassionateplate.com/easyrecipe-print/6995-0/

Note: With the amount of filling, and the amount of egg roll wrappers you'll likely have, you could easily make this in a 13x9 pan as well. I was just in a hurry and didn't need to make that much.

After assembling the rolls, and putting them in the pan, I poured probably a good two cups of additional marinara on top and then sprinkled it with Parmesan. I put it in the oven at 350, for 20 minutes. It turned out pretty good. If I were to make this again, I think I would have baked it a little longer, maybe 25-30 minutes instead.

The kids really liked it, and so did I. I tastes like good, authentic lasagna, without all the work! Hope you all have fun making it! Sorry I don't have pictures, my camera is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment