Monday, August 12, 2013

Back to School They Go

School is starting! School is starting!

Those words bring both nostalgia and, perhaps, just a bit of sadness to parents all over the country. Where did the Summer go, they will ask themselves wistfully. As if they didn't know it was spent, at least part of the time, wishing the kids would go back to school already.

Sure, we enjoy spending time with our kids. Going to water parks, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches outside under a tree, going for walks past bedtime. The sounds of fun, and sun, and Summer. But after awhile, the routine of non-routine slowly eats away at our patience, gnawing on our sensibilities and making us wish the whining would just stop already. Oh, maybe that's just me. I digress.

Summer is a wonderful time. More time outside, less time spent worrying about assignments, or parties, or book reports. School time can be wonderful as well. The joy of learning, the wonder of what each new day will bring. I don't care what anyone says, wonderful teachers are still out there, and my children have had the benefit of having many of them. I am thankful for the countless teachers, teacher's aides, counselors, parents, janitors, principals, assistant principals, lunch people and everyone else who helps make our schools run. I'm willing to bet they got into the profession because they regard learning as a wonder, too. And I am so glad they did.

Because of one of my children's teachers, my child has discovered a love of reading he had never experienced before. Another teacher helped my oldest understand that learning isn't just about reading, writing, and arithmetic, but also about helping others, and learning how to be a part something bigger than yourself.

As parents, the teaching of our children lies upon us. But sometimes, we need a little help. I'm glad that my children have had some remarkable people, who regarded learning as a journey and not just a day-to-day drudgery.

To all of my children's teachers: thank you! I, for one, am looking forward to another wonderful school year. Here we go!

2 comments:

  1. I agree Trina, my kids have had some great teachers who have helped in them in so many ways that I couldn't. I love back to school time, not because my kids leave the house every day, but because of the excitement my kids have for the new school year and what could possibly come their way this year! New beggings are always great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trina I needed to know that it's ok for me to have a little help as I sent my homeschooled kids to school today.

    ReplyDelete