Tuesday, August 13, 2013

First Day of School Poem

Written, spontaneously, as I thought about all of the parents who are sending their children off to school for the first time this year. Hoping they all have a great day and remember what a wonder it is to learn on a daily basis.

Today's the day!
Today is THE day!
A life of adventure and
growth - they say.
But all I see is my baby,
walking away.

Science, reading, math, and
playing - they'll spend the day.
While I, I'll remember the first time
they smiled. Laughed. Ran. Talked.
I'll spend the day remembering
the first time they walked.

Life rolls. Time flies. We worry each
word will be wise.
But in each moment, each second, each hour
our babies, they grow - like the bud of a flower.
We admire their beauty, their strength,
and who but us have they to thank?
For making it this far, in life.
For life is a journey. Not one for the faint.

Oh, today's the day!
Today is THE day.
For running, for walking;
for memories to be made.

- TH

4 comments:

  1. beautiful!! I'm pinning this! My son started kindergarten this week and it was rough--on me!
    Thank you so much for stopping by my FB page today!
    XO, Barbara at Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! My son started kindergarten this week and it was rough--on me! I'm tweeting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..and thanks for stopping by my FB page today!! XO, Barbara at Chase the Star--I love blue too! :)

      Delete
  3. So glad you like it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete